Do you ever struggle with not living up to the person you have created in your own mind? I am going to use myself as an example because maybe I’m the only weird one who struggles with this. I’m 35 years old and I continue to struggle to live up to my own expectations. I am constantly overthinking my life and trying to be “good enough” for myself and others. honestly, I’m getting too old for this y’all. I have set certain standards for myself and when I fall short, I fall HARD. I fall into the trap of self-pity, shame, guilt, condemnation, and so many other things. Then I start thinking everyone sees me like this and my mind just goes into a chaotic cycle that sometimes takes days to overcome. God help the people that are the closest to me because I can be ALOT to handle when I’m in this downward cycle. I’m tired of struggling with this “person” who does not even exist. She is someone that I have held so high in my mind that she has become my God. She has become my own worst enemy. You see guys, if you are like me and struggle with this, we are SO WRONG. The only person we should be trying to please is God. Not our-self. Only God can tell us who we are and who we should be. He created us and has a purpose and plan for our life and only through him can we live that out. Let’s stop trying to be who we think we should be and be who God has called us to be. Our mind is a dangerous place and that is where the root of sin starts. This is where we start becoming our own God and that my dear friend is a sin. I’m guilty of this. God clearly states we should not have any other God before him (Exodus 20:3.) We live in a society today that is so vain and self-focused, and it makes us feel okay to be this way. We are becoming desensitized to God’s commands and his spirit and we are becoming apart of this world. We have been commanded to be separated unto him. To forsake this world and follow Christ. Being able to do this takes putting off that old man and putting on the mind of Christ. We literally have to “Lose our Mind”. This, my friend, is a daily task. We have years of conditioning our mind to think carnal and vain thoughts, but the grace and mercies of God are new every day and he will help you to start thinking differently. Stop listening to the lies we tell ourselves. Stop putting yourself down when you stumble. Stop trying to get approval from others and start living to please God. His approval is all that matters. Please don’t forget this. God loves you where you are. He is for you even when you are not for yourself. You are created in his image. Let that be your truth today. I want to give you guys a list of scriptures to start speaking out loud when you start hearing lies.
- And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God. Romans 12:2
- For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them. Ephesians 2:10
- Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. Colossians 3:2
- Jesus replied: ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ Matthew 22:37
- For by the grace given me I say to every one of you: Do not think of yourself more highly than you ought, but rather think of yourself with sober judgment, in accordance with the faith God has distributed to each of you. Romans 12:3
- Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God: Ephesians 2:5-6